Friday, May 18, 2012

Adventures in walking Savannah to school :)

Today, as I was walking Savannah to school and pushing Asher along in the stroller, I started thinking about something. There is a perfect little path that leads to her school that we walk every single day, and every morning and afternoon, effortlessly, and with the grace of a swan I glide along this path until the moment that those wheels touch the gravel of the pebbled playground that stands between us and our destination...and then something changes.. Suddenly, the stroller ride becomes a bumpy trek; a torrential undertaking of the vast sea of pebble! My posture distorts as I furiously push through those tiny rocks in desperation to get to the other side. As I push down and out, grinding those wheels into the depths of the ground, I am increasingly slowed down, and actually (embarrassingly) out of breath by the time that we get to the other side...too tired to even enjoy the sweet, sweet victory... But today, I tried a different method. Instead of leaning forward, pushing harder, and speeding up; today, I stood up straight and sloooowwwllly pressed onward. I didn't try and muster up any more strength than was at my natural disposal As I went with only the strength that I had in the moment, a funny thing happened. I crossed that sucker in record time; perfectly postured, and with the carefree lungs of a gazelle! Wonderful how Poppa can teach us life lessons through even the most casual and seemingly silly things in life. That path is perfectly laid out to reach it's destination. It is smooth and narrow, until the moment before you get where you're going...then suddenly there is a choice to make; to strive or cooperate? To try as hard as I can, or trust Him to gently and slowly get me to my own destination with what strength I have been given? I will probably giggle every time that I get to the playground now and SLOW those wheels to a screeching halt before pressing gently forward, and I imagine that poor, little Asher will appreciate not having shake, rattle, and stroll in the future as well!

3 comments:

  1. And I will picture you running like a gazelle... btw my kids love the bumpy rides the best! Love the lesson here!

    ReplyDelete