Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hide and Seek

I have been studying Proverbs 31 for a few weeks now, which has been encouraging, convicting, overwhelming at times, discouraging at times, (annoying at times), and has my house about as shiny as it's ever been. 
 
There is a theme with this Proverbs woman; an impossible standard of perfection.  This standard is not limited to this woman alone, however; an expectation of perfection is pretty consistently found in every Book of the Bible.  [This is the part where I get on my spandex (what beautiful imagery) and step out onto the mat for a nice wrestling match.]
 
As I read through these stories, the Lord points out over and over again, that I am not anywhere close to who I was made to be.  So, what do I do?  I immediately begin to panic at how far off the mark I am, roll up my sleeves (oh wait..I'm wearing spandex...) and get to work. 

After days, or weeks, months, or even years at this, the Good Lord comes and tenderly wipes the damp wisps of hair from my furrowed brow.  He then lifts me up onto His lap, and gently reminds me that this is the reason that Jesus was born.  You see, this perfection is required of us, but CANNOT be met in our own strength.

 I get so discouraged with myself for both falling for my fallen nature again, and for how long it takes my heart to understand what my head instructs it to believe during these seasons, but there is also a measure of Grace and a lesson intertwined beneath, because while the enemy seeks to steal my joy and convince me of my unworthiness, the Father maintains the Truth in my spirit; that I will always need my Savior. 

And then there's this...
 
this warm, enveloping robe of cover and comforting Hand that pulls me back in from a fight that I never could have won:
 
It is found in Colossians 3:3-

"For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."

I am not perfect.  I will NEVER be perfect, but if my Heavenly Father comes looking for me, do you know where He will find me? HIDDEN with Christ.  It's like the best game of hide and seek EVER!
 
Someday, when that trumpet sounds...perhaps in our childlike hearts, we will hear a booming voice...
 
"Ready or not...Here I come!"  
 
and tucked safely away with our Lord, we will be more than ready!

3 comments:

  1. Good word. Very good word!! Very, VERY good word!!! How I love this place of hiddeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am EXTREMELY thankful for that verse of scripture! Watchman Nee really put it into perspective for me :D I think I will read that book again soon. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete